Views:2 Author:Daisy Tao Publish Time: 2020-09-11 Origin:Site
Automatic Four Ball Lubricant Tester(ASTM D2596, D2266, D4172)
What is Four Ball Tester？
The Four Ball / 4-ball Lubricant Tester provides an evaluation of the anti-wear and extreme pressure properties of fluid lubricants and greases in sliding contacts.
Significance of Four Ball Test?
The 4-ball tester is mainly applied to demonstrate performance within industrial applications like greases. The ASTM standard tests are well known in the industry and used as a reference by many lubricant formulators. The test could possibly help evaluate the anti-scuffing capacity and lasting performance of different lubricants under consideration for selection. It could also be added to the test arsenal when comparing the residual AW or EP performance of a used lubricant to the new lubricant performance. It turned out to be a suitable and cheap test to assess whether a finished product contained antiwear additives and as such was accepted by the "oil community" as a standard screening test and incorporated in various national standards (ASTM, DIN, IP etc).
How to perform the test?
A ball mounted in a chuck, is rotated against three stationary balls in a pot containing the sample lubricant.
Reference ASTM Standards:
1. ASTM D2596-15 “Standard Test Method for Measurement of Extreme-Pressure Properties of Lubricating Grease (Four-Ball Method)"
2. ASTM D2783-03(2014) “Standard Test Method for Measurement of Extreme-Pressure Properties of Lubricating Fluids (Four-Ball Method)”
3. ASTM D2266-01(2015) “Standard Test Method for Wear Preventive Characteristics of Lubricating Grease (Four-Ball Method)"
4. ASTM D5183-05(2016) “Standard Test Method for Determination of the Coefficient of Friction of Lubricants Using the Four-Ball Wear Test Machine"
5. ASTM D4172-94(2016) “Standard Test Method for Wear Preventive Characteristics of Lubricating Fluid (Four-Ball Method)”
Typical Parameters of Four Ball Tester:
7 Inch high resolution color touch screen user interface, touch screen button control.
Operating voltage: AC380V, 50Hz.
Operating power: 1500W.
Spindle speed: 200r / min ~ 3000r / min + 5r / min continuously adjustable.
Spindle speed control method: frequency converter.
Sample temperature control range: ambient ~ 400℃/adjustable, LCD real-time digital display.
Sample heating method: heating rod to be inserted into oil bowl.
Loading method: leverage type, manual loading.
Axis test force: 60N ~ 10KN.
Testing ball: 4-ball machine dedicated Gcr15 steel ball, diameter 12.7mm.
Friction method: Sliding friction.
Pressure contact mode: Sliding friction point contact.
Speed display: LCD digital rotation speed display.
Relative error of the test force: +1%.
Automatic Four Ball Lubricant Tester(ASTM D2596, D2266, D4172):